On a striking elevation above the city, there is the Gurgusovac Tower. It was built on the site of a Turkish bar, erected in the 18th century. Century, which served to supervise the city. between 1842 and 1842. And 1844. This building was converted and turned into a dungeon, where political opponents of the Karadjordjevic dynasty were imprisoned. The burning of the “Serbian Bastille”, as many called it, was ordered by Milos Obrenovic in 1859. Year. In memory of this event, in January of the same year, the people of Gurgus ovčani changed the name of their town to Knjaževac after Knjaz Miloš Obrenović.
Of the original tower, only one wall with rifle openings and an entrance gate is preserved.
Today, the tower is decorated, a multipurpose space for cultural and public events, gatherings. It is surrounded by a park and a playground for children.