In 1833, as a part of the first arrival of Prince Miloš in Gurgusovac, the construction of the Orthodox church began. The construction was completed in 1835. The bell tower with the clock was erected in 1866. .
The iconostasis of the church was painted by Georgije Bakalović from Sremski Karlovac, a student of Stefan Gavrilović, one of the most important painters from the beginning of the 19th century. The church was burned down during the Serbian-Turkish war (1876). The renovation began in 1878. and the academic painter Nikola Marković paint a new iconostasis. Today, the treasury of the church in Knjaževac keeps the Gospel from 1805, the silver cross from 1866 and two icons, the remains of the old iconostasis, from 1835. years.
The Gospel, which was presented to the Church of St. George by Prince Miloš, was brought from Bulgaria to Knjaževac in 1878. by the merchant Ilija Jeremić, then the commander of the battalion of the Knjaževac army.